Looking for an EASY, QUICK, and HEALTHY DISH?
Here’s an easy 15-minute recipe from our grilling experts that you can do!
Spice up some fresh asparagus by grilling them the right way. This recipe will give you a TENDER and SAVORY version of the vegetable that’s both healthy and very kid-friendly.
How to Prepare Asparagus for Grilling
Before you start, prepare your asparagus properly.
While preparing them, you can already let your grill preheat. Your asparagus has to SIZZLE once it’s put on there.
Once you have a hold on some fresh asparagus, here’s what you’re going to do:
- Wash your asparagus. Give them a fresh wash with clean water.
Cut off the asparagus ends. Trim the woody ends of each asparagus with kitchen scissors or a knife. You’d want to remove them since they’re pretty tough on the teeth. We want our asparagus TENDER and SMOOTH. If you can’t figure out where to cut the asparagus, hold the stalk and GENTLY bend it. The part where the asparagus spear snaps is the one you should cut.
- Prepare your ingredients and materials. Besides the grill and the asparagus, here are the things you need to get that savory flavor:
- Butter cut into small pieces OR extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Extra herbs and seasoning of your choice
Grilling Asparagus Using Foil
You can grill your asparagus directly on the grill if they’re thick enough. If you do, make sure you season them before tossing them onto the grill.
But if you want maximum flavor (and no asparagus falling in between the grills), you can use foil:
- Cut foil sheets into large squares. Make sure the size will fully cover your asparagus stalks.
- Coat the foil sheets with cooking spray. This will keep your asparagus stalks from sticking onto the foil.
- Divide the asparagus stalks evenly in each foil sheet. Try to keep them in groups of 4-5 so that everything is evenly cooked.
- Place a square of butter on the asparagus stalks or drizzle them with olive oil. This will keep your vegetable tender.
- Season your asparagus with salt and pepper. You can also throw in some herbs and seasonings of your choice for a more dynamic flavor!
- Fold the foil and seal them on all sides. Make sure it’s tightly sealed to keep all the flavor in!
- Put them on the grill! Grill each foil packet for 15 minutes. Flip them halfway through to evenly cook all asparagus stalks.
- Carefully open the foil packets and gently stir the asparagus stalks inside. Let them mix and absorb the butter or olive oil and the seasonings.
- Serve and sprinkle with parsley. You can also add a lemon wedge on the side for a little citrus kick!
TIP: If you don’t have a grill, you can still cook your asparagus the same way in an oven.
You can bake your packets in an oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
Though the main difference is you won’t get that smoky flavor you can only get from the grill.
To check if your asparagus is cooked, you can poke it with a fork to test its doneness. It should be soft but not mushy.
Spices That Go Well With Asparagus
You can pretty much season your asparagus with anything. But if you want to go the EXTRA MILE, here are some of our recommendations if you want something more than just salt and pepper.
- Garlic powder and onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Thyme and Rosemary
- Green Onions
You can be adventurous and do a little mix-and-match with them. Feel free to also use some premade or pre-mixed italian seasonings.
Just be sure to ALWAYS add butter or olive oil along with the other seasonings.
NOW, DON’T FORGET THESE LAST-MINUTE TIPS!
- If you want a ZESTY kick of flavor, you can add lemon zest or balsamic vinegar.
You can also sprinkle some parmesan, mozzarella or feta cheese (to make it a little more FUN you can add some tiny bacon bits too!).
You can grill it together with other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and/or yellow squash. Doing so will mix all the natural flavors of the vegetables. (Here are other top vegetables to grill!)
Whether you’re having a grill party or just need a QUICK HEALTHY DISH, grilling asparagus is the way to go!
It’s easy and doesn’t take long to make!
You also have the freedom to season it the way you want to!
Want to share your own seasoning mix? Comment them down below!
Check out more of our grilling guides next: